Artadia has active awards programs in the following cities: Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco. Awards are granted in participating cities on a rotating basis. Artadia Awards are $10,000 and are unrestricted. The award money can be used however the artist sees fit.
Artadia chooses to fund artists in cities that demonstrate a commitment to contemporary art. These cities are notable for:
• The active presence of local artists in the community.
• Art institutions recognized for innovative contemporary programming.
• A commercial art market that offers artists opportunities to show their work locally and at art fairs.
• Exemplary schools that prepare artists through undergraduate and graduate programs.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY:ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
June 1, 2017
11:59 PM CDT
To be eligible to apply for the 2017 Chicago Artadia Awards, artists must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be a contemporary visual artist (making artwork for presentation in a contemporary art context: museum, galleries, arts non-profit, the public art realm, etc. Artadia does not fund filmmakers making films for distribution in cinematic venues).
- Live and work within Cook County, IL
- Have resided in Chicago for a minimum of two years
- Not currently be enrolled in an art-related degree program
- Not be related to Artadia staff or directors in any way
- Have not previously received an Artadia Award or an award from The Art Council for $10,000 or more
Previous jurors have recommended that artists submit work was been created within the past three years. Though you may submit more than one slide of the same artwork, we recommend that you provide a representative sample of the breadth of your creative work.
Video submissions are limited to video art, animation, and performance documentation. Feature-length commercial films and documentaries, music videos, and commercial music projects are not eligible. Please do not send documentation of sculpture or other works as video. If time-based media is not your primary medium, do not use this option.
APPLICATION REVIEW PROCESS
Artadia employs a rigorous two-tier jury process that combines local expertise with outside perspective from leading national and international curators and artists. A preliminary panel evaluates all submissions and selects five Award Finalists. A second panel of two curators based in the Award city will conduct studio visits with the five Finalists. From the Finalists, the jurors will designate two Awardees to receive unrestricted funds of $10,000.
May 1 - June 1: Application open
Early June: Finalists notified
Mid-June: Studio visits with Finalists
Late-June: 2017 Chicago Awardees announced
Fill out the application below to have your work considered for the 2017 Chicago Artadia Awards.
We recommend that you finish the application two days prior to the deadline. We will not be able to answer questions submitted after 5:00 pm CDT Wednesday, May 31, or accept late applications. Please allow yourself 48 hours to upload images and video. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "2017 Chicago Awards Application". We will answer your questions as soon as possible. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.