Artadia has active awards programs in the following cities: Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York City, and the San Francisco Bay Area. Awards are granted in participating cities on a rotating basis. Artadia Awards are $15,000 and are unrestricted: The award money can be used however the artist sees fit.
Artadia chooses to fund artists in cities that demonstrate a commitment to contemporary art. These cities are notable for:
• The active presence of local artists in the community.
• Art institutions recognized for innovative contemporary programming.
• A commercial art market that offers artists opportunities to show their work locally and at art fairs.
• Exemplary schools that prepare artists through undergraduate and graduate programs.
*The Los Angeles Awards cycle includes a third award of $25,000 in unrestricted funds.
Artadia is now accepting applications for the 2023 New York City Awards from all visual artists who have lived and worked for a minimum of two years throughout the five boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island. Individual artists and collaboratives working in all visual media and at any stage in their career are strongly encouraged to apply. Awardees will be selected through a two-tier jury process that employs a panel of leading curators in the spring of 2023. This is the ninth New York City Awards cycle.
All APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY:
April 1, 2023 by 11:59pm (Midnight) EST
Late Applications will not be accepted
To be eligible to apply for the 2023 New York City Artadia Awards, artists must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be a contemporary visual artist (making artwork for presentation in a contemporary art context: museum, galleries, arts non-profit, the public art realm, etc. Artadia does not fund filmmakers making films for distribution in cinematic venues, or those working in choreography presented outside of a contemporary art context).
- Live and work within Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island.*
- Have resided for a minimum of two years within Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island.*
- Not currently be enrolled in an art-related degree program, nor be planning to attend an art-related degree program in the coming year.
- Not be related to Artadia staff or directors in any way.
- Have never received an award from Artadia or from The Art Council (Artadia’s former name). Please note that former finalists are eligible to apply.
- If you are enrolled in a long-term artist residency program, please note you are only eligible to apply in the Award city where you permanently reside. Additionally, you must make yourself available to meet with jurors for a 45 minute virtual studio visit should you be chosen as a Finalist.
- Unless applying as a collaborative, you must be the sole conceptual author of the artwork submitted in the application; if there are collaborators that share authorship of the submitted work they must be clearly identified and credited.
APPLICATION REVIEW PROCESS
Artadia employs a rigorous two-tier jury process that combines local expertise with outside perspective from leading national and international curators. A preliminary panel evaluates all submissions and selects six Award Finalists. A second panel of two curators, one based in the Award city, will conduct virtual studio visits with the six Finalists. Of the Finalists, the jurors will designate three artists to receive awards of $15,000 each in unrestricted funds.
March 1 - April 1: Application open
Mid-April: Finalists notified
Late April: Studio visits with Finalists
Early May: 2023 New York City Awardees announced
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "2023 New York City Awards Application," and staff will endeavor to answer your questions as soon as possible. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.