Artadia has active awards programs in the following cities: Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco. Awards are granted in participating cities on a rotating basis. Artadia Awards are $10,000 and are unrestricted. The award money can be used however the artist sees fit.
Artadia chooses to fund artists in cities that demonstrate a commitment to contemporary art. These cities are notable for:
• The active presence of local artists in the community.
• Art institutions recognized for innovative contemporary programming.
• A commercial art market that offers artists opportunities to show their work locally and at art fairs.
• Exemplary schools that prepare artists through undergraduate and graduate programs.
Artadia is now accepting applications for the 2018 Atlanta Awards from all visual artists who have lived and worked within the greater Atlanta area for a minimum of two years. The 23 eligible counties are: Barrow, Bartow, Butts, Carroll, Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Hall, Henry, Morgan, Newton, Paulding, Pickens, Rockdale, Spalding, and Walton. Individual artists and collaboratives working in all visual media and at any stage in their career are strongly encouraged to apply. Awardees will be selected through a two-tier jury process that employs a panel of prominent curators and one artist in the fall of 2018. This is the sixth Atlanta Awards cycle.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY:
October 15, 2018
6:00 pm EST
To be eligible to apply for the 2018 Atlanta Artadia Awards, artists must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be a contemporary visual artist (making artwork for presentation in a contemporary art context: museum, galleries, arts non-profit, the public art realm, etc. Artadia does not fund filmmakers making films for distribution in cinematic venues).
- Live and work within the greater Atlanta area
- Have resided in Atlanta for a minimum of two years.
- Not currently be enrolled in a full-time art-related degree program.
- Not be related to Artadia staff or directors in any way.
- Have not received an Artadia Award or an award from The Art Council for $10,000 or more in the past.
The Awards are based on merit: defined as a rigorous engagement with a set of ideas embodied in materials, a depth of practice and a clearly articulated and developed voice. Artadia does not fund projects.
Previous jurors have recommended that artists submit work that has been created within the past three years. Though you may submit more than one slide of the same artwork, we recommend that you provide a representative sample of the breadth of your creative work.
Video submissions are limited to video art, animation, and performance documentation. Feature length commercial films and documentaries, music videos, and commercial music projects are not eligible. Please do not send documentation of sculpture or other works as video. If time-based media is not your primary medium, do not use this option.
APPLICATION REVIEW PROCESS
Artadia employs a rigorous two-tier jury process that combines local expertise with outside perspective from leading national and international curators and artists. A preliminary panel evaluates all submissions and selects five Award Finalists. A second panel of two curators based in the Award city will conduct studio visits with the five Finalists. Of the Finalists, the jurors will designate two Awardees to receive unrestricted funds of $10,000.
September 15 - October 15: Application open
End of October: Finalists notified
November 12 - 15: Studio visits with Finalists
End of November: 2018 Atlanta Awardees announced
Fill out the application below to have your work considered for the 2018 Atlanta Artadia Awards.
We recommend that you finish the application two days prior to the deadline. We will not be able to answer questions past Friday, October 12 or accept late applications. Please allow yourself 48 hours to upload images and video. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Please direct any questions to email@example.com with the subject line "2018 Atlanta Awards Application." We will answer your questions as soon as possible. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.