Artadia has active awards programs in the following cities: Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco. Awards are granted in participating cities on a rotating basis. Artadia Awards are $10,000 and are unrestricted: The award money can be used however the artist sees fit.
Artadia chooses to fund artists in cities that demonstrate a commitment to contemporary art. These cities are notable for:
• The active presence of local artists in the community.
• Art institutions recognized for innovative contemporary programming.
• A commercial art market that offers artists opportunities to show their work locally and at art fairs.
• Exemplary schools that prepare artists through undergraduate and graduate programs.
*The Los Angeles Awards cycle includes a third award of $25,000 in unrestricted funds.
Artadia is now accepting applications for the 2022 Los Angeles Awards from all visual artists who have lived and worked within Los Angeles County for a minimum of two years. Individual artists and collaboratives working in all visual media and at any stage in their career are strongly encouraged to apply. Awardees will be selected through a two-tier jury process that employs a panel of leading curators in the winter of 2022. This is the eighth Los Angeles Award cycle.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY:
February 1st, 2022 by 11:59pm (Midnight) PST
To be eligible to apply for the 2022 Los Angeles Artadia Awards, artists must fulfill the following requirements:
- Be a contemporary visual artist (making artwork for presentation in a contemporary art context: museum, galleries, arts non-profit, the public art realm, etc. Please note that Artadia does not fund filmmakers making films for distribution in cinematic venues, or those working in choreography presented outside of a contemporary art context).
- Live and work within Los Angeles County.
- Have resided in Los Angeles County for a minimum of two years.
- Not currently be enrolled in an art-related degree program, nor be planning to attend an art-related degree program in the coming year.
- Not be related to Artadia staff or directors in any way.
- Have not received an Artadia Award or an award from The Art Council in the past.
- Unless applying as a collaborative, you must be the sole conceptual author of the artwork submitted in the application; if there are collaborators that share authorship of the submitted work they must be clearly identified and credited.
Artadia is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion and believes in fostering mutual respect for the diverse beliefs of all individuals and groups.
APPLICATION REVIEW PROCESS
Artadia employs a rigorous two-tier jury process that combines local expertise with outside perspective from leading national curators. A preliminary panel evaluates all submissions and selects six Award Finalists. A second panel of two curators, one based in the Award city, will conduct virtual studio visits with the six Finalists. Of the Finalists, the jurors will designate three artists to receive awards. Artadia offers three Awards in each of our partner cities - in Los Angeles we offer one $25,000 Marciano Art Foundation Artadia Award, one $10,000 Angeles Art Fund Artadia Award, and one $10,000 Capital Group Artadia Award.
- While we welcome applications from artists at all stages of their practice, ideal applicants must demonstrate a high level of artistic excellence, maintain a rigorous practice and have a clear artistic voice.
- We recommend that you submit work that has been created within the past three years.
- Though you may submit more than one slide of the same artwork, we recommend that you provide a representative sample of the breadth of your creative work.
- Video submissions are limited to video art, animation, and performance documentation. Feature length commercial films and documentaries, music videos, and commercial music projects are not eligible.
- We highly recommend that you finish the application at least two days prior to the deadline. Artadia Staff will not be able to answer questions past January 29 or accept late applications. Please allow yourself 48 hours to upload images and video links. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. No exceptions.
January 1 - February 1: Application open
Mid-February: Finalists notified
Early March: Studio visits with Finalists
Mid-March: 2022 Los Angeles Awardees announced
Please direct any questions to email@example.com with the subject line "2022 Los Angeles Awards Application," and staff will endeavor to answer your questions as soon as possible. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.